Saturday, June 17, 2006

Post-Mortem : Dinner Date

So, as it went, the dinner was somehow ok.

I left office at 5.00 pm as I planned. But not to Jason's but to my clients office!!!

5.15pm- at clients office.
5.30pm- still at clients office!
5.45pm - still stuck! Oh my god...i'm late. I had to do shopping and head home to cook!
finally 5.50pm I left the clients off to rush to Jason.
Thankfully, the market is only 2 MRT stations away from my place. I gave myself time until 6.30 to shop and be back so I can get everything ready by 8.30 pm.

And the list I made of what to buy before leaving my office really helped me to focus.
So I bought all these items...

1) Chopped Almond
2) Asparagus
3) Baby Corns
4) Mint Leaves
5) Capsicum (Red + Yellow)
6) Brussel Sprouts
7) Tofu
8) Maggie Soup Seasoning
9) Pepper Powder
10) Chilly Flake
11) Lemon infused Olive Oil
12) Mango Chutney
13) Ginger
and reached home by 6.45. Oh gosh, I'm late!

So I quickly prepared all the ingredients needed for the cutlet, asparagus, brussels and soup.

As it happened, I changed my menu a bit on the last minute...

1) Soup - tofu, potato, baby corn, capsicum with Maggie seasoning and a bit of pepper and chilly flakes and GARAM MASALA!!!!.
Well, when I was about to bring the flame down and pour the soup to its bowl...then I realised the tofu is no where to be seen in the soup! What happened! Diluted? Can't be. The I realised I didn't even put it in! so I boiled the soup extra 10 minutes and it's done.

2) Asparagus with Almond. Make that roasted Almond. - I roasted the almonds, and stir fried the asparagus with minimal oil and a bit of water. Was trying to keep it crunchy. Then I added a bit of Maggie Soy Sauce, a bit of Aminah Hassan thick soy souce and added half of the roasted almond into it. So the flavor of almond will be absorbed into asparagus. Then I carefully fished out only the asparagus to a plate. Leaving the Almond with the other ingredients in the wok. So, I added a bit of water and some garlic chilly sauce just enough to make it a shiny gravy to be poured onto the asparagus. Then I added the gravy with almond which is in red colour onto the asparagus and added the rest of the roasted almonds to it to add colour to the dish.

3) Brussels - I was trying to make it as spicy as I can. So I put capsicum, chilly, chilly flakes, sambal chilly into it. With some baby corn to go with it. Turned out.....I should have boiled the brussels first! I didn't taste it until the guest was home. So perhaps, next time I will do better.

4) Cutlet- Cutlet to my horror turned out to be the worst dish of the day! I over cooked 2 of them, and almost over cooked the other 2. Finally I managed to save only 1 1/2 of the cutlets. :(

5) Skewed Fruits - had honey dey, kiwi, strawberry and manggo skewed for desert.

6) Final Desert was Haagen Dazs vanila Ice cream on rose stem with daisy, rose petal and mint leaf. This is the best of the lot apart from my Asparagus.

So, all done by 9.00 pm! GOSH I AM LATE! Super LATE!
Then I was informed the guest had to work late. :(
The person can only make it around 10.30. So I was like, what the heck....Argentina game was on TV I could still catch it. HE HE HE.

Happily I watched the game which ended 6-0 to Argies. Had my shower, re-heated the dishes and waited for my guest. She turned up finally at 11.00 pm. We were so hungry that I forgot to snap the dishes served. I only realised it when we were about to have out desert. So, here are the 2 photos...



The vanila ice-cream on rose stem with rose and daisy petals. Garnished with mint leaves.




Simple Fruit Skew

7 Comments:

At June 18, 2006 12:05 am, Blogger ROYAL JESTER said...

First and foremost, I never knew you could cook.Secondly, that was speed shopping!I could never get that done in a few minutes.hehe..
Thirdly, the way you described how you cook your dishes made me squirm in my seat and I can't imagine it would taste alright (I'm sure its edible!)BUT THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS THIS: You have made a gr8 impression on the girl. If I were her, I'd be so impressed that I wouldn't even realised how bad the cooking was coz it'll be as though the greatest chef in the world had prepared it specially for me.
AND THAT, my friend, is the greatest feeling on earth!
WELL DONE!!!Hope she's the right one for you!

 
At June 18, 2006 4:11 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

gustiadipati,
Congratulations!!! You came out unscratched :))
I can't imagine how busy you were in the kitchen.
Tofu needs a minimal time to cook. Next time you don't need to reheat the soup (dishes) if you forget to add tofu.

 
At June 19, 2006 3:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wah, very impressive. For a guy to go out of his way like you did, gusti, that girl sure must be a knock-out and you must be craazy about her lah! So what was her reaction? Was she impressed? Was she on cloud 9?

 
At June 19, 2006 3:46 pm, Blogger Ariel said...

heheheh....sungguh funny la kau nie!

bet the girl was impressed.

 
At June 20, 2006 9:33 am, Blogger Gusti Adipati said...

Pu1Pu3,
I can cooklah....kan dulu pun i cook. Just that I tak pernah cooked anything yg boleh serve to a guest jer.... thanks...about the gal....still trying to get to know her..lets see whats in store....don't wanna rush too.....thanks a lot,

Ana,
thanks a lot for your support and advice

Clair,
Most importantly...that gal made me feel comfortable being around her. trying to get an interview done with her about the dinner... he he he.... and guess what...I think I impressed her so much that she stayed back and companied me to watch Holland vs Ivory Coast game!

Ariel,
I really hope so.....

 
At June 20, 2006 2:48 pm, Blogger Visithra said...

oohhh the ice cream looks so good - plus all that describing about the cooking - made asparagus sound so delicious - thanfully ive had lunch!

 
At June 21, 2006 12:24 pm, Blogger Gusti Adipati said...

Visthra,
believe me...the ice cream and the asparagus were the only items that was good that nite!....

;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home